The Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region (ANCA-WR) is seeking a media and communications director who is passionate about getting Armenian issues on to news agendas in the United States and excited about working with journalists and social media influencers to tell stories that bring about positive change for Armenia, Artsakh, and the Armenian Community in the Western United States.
Application Deadline: November 15, 2022
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by 15 November 2022 by sending a cover letter and a resume or CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “ANCA-WR Media & Communications Director and [Your Full Name]”.
The ANCA-WR Media and Communications Director is required to:
- Manage all aspects of media relations, from developing publicity strategies, marketing campaigns and writing news releases, preparing statements and arranging interviews;
- Assist in the continued development and use of the ANCA-WR brand;
- Write and post content to ANCA-WR digital channels, including the website and social media;
- Prepare mass emails and action alerts and disseminate via ANCA-WR’s marketing automation platforms;
- Create rich and creative content that is optimized for search engines;
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on ANCA-WR’s social media channels;
- Manage the development, distribution and maintenance of ANCA-WR publications, including print and electronic newsletters, brochures, event invitations and promotional items;
- Assist in writing and editing testimony during the legislative session, as well as publicizing key legislative issues. Gain familiarity with issues related to the ANCA-WR’s core mission to strengthen written testimony;
- Promote organizational activities and events through mass media and digital channels;
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed;
- Cultivate, manage and develop media relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as ANCA WR’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects;
- Other duties as may arise from time to time and as may be assigned by the Employer.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, international affairs, or other relevant field is required.
Experience: A minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in journalism, media management or the communications department at a mission-driven organization is highly desired.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience working in a demanding, diverse, and fast-paced media environment both independently and as a member of a team is required;
- Excellent proofreading and oral communication skills in English are required; proficiency in other languages (especially Armenian) is highly desired;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including patience and a sense of humor, and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously are required;
- Experience working on a Content Management System (CMS), wordpress preferred, and/or publishing to a website, and proficiency in computer packages, including MS Office applications, are required;
- Familiarity in managing institutional Social Media platforms is highly desired;
- Familiarity with graphic design software, such as CanvaPro is highly desired;
- Familiarity with media monitoring systems such as Meltwater and Cision highly desired.
- Familiarity with running Zoom webinars a plus.
- Familiarity with marketing automation platforms such as EveryAction, Mailchimp is highly desired.
- Strong organizational skills with close attention to detail are required.
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff and board members in multiple locations are required.
- Flexibility to work evening hours and some weekends is required.
- Strong interest in international human rights and media, including social media, is strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience
Location: This job is located in Glendale, CA. Applicants must be local to the area or be willing to relocate to Los Angeles at their own expense.
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. ANCA-WR reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs, as necessary.